Finally got around to updating the general layout and looks of my website. Added the life page and made the menus for engineering and events a bit more user friendly. The goals sections has been updated and I’ve changed the adress to match my new company name Raad Lights and Design. I also connected my website to Facebook and Linkedin. So Hi everyone!
Coming weeks I’ll add and update bio’s for the different pages and I’ll start adding more blogs.
The final project for the year 2015/2016 was to build a steering system for an existing agricultural automated guided vehicle (AGV). The existing vehicle was presented in the form of a model. The steering system needed to enable the vehicle to automatically drive over the fields that needed ploughing. In our model we used black lines and infrared sensors instead of GPS to determine the vehicles position. I worked as part of team MooiWark. We developed the vehicle together. Initially my specific tasks were determining technical specifications and writing the manual. Later I directed the building of our model and when the programmer didn’t have enough time to finish the project due to unexpected developments I took over his task and wrote the rest of the program for the vehicle. The vehicle uses a stepper motor that is easily removable to steer. For the propulsion it uses a single DC-motor. The vehicle uses three sensors to detect lines and can make a 180 degree turn to the next line without assistance. The vehicle uses an echolocation sensor to detect objects blocking it’s past, the vehicle will go slower when it’s nearing an object and will immediately come to a full stop when an obstacle comes within a certain range. The program is written to be as adaptable as possible. Set parameters for distance can easily be changed and sensor and actuator input is converted to real world values before it is processed. This means any part can easily be switched out and the only extra programming that has to be done is the conversion settings. The following video demonstrates several tests of the AGV.
In the second semester of the academic year 2015/2016 I worked on the project Offshore as part of Sigma7 3.0. The objective of the project was to develop a gantry crane which could load and offload containers filled with plastic onto a cargo ship using an electromagnet. During this project we build the model displayed in the picture above. It had a wide range of functions including automatic loading and offloading. But also the option of manual operation. The system was operated using a rotary encoder and a small display. The system also had various safety features. The following video displays the main functions of the machine.
During this project my main tasks were planning, checking teksts, calculations and building mechanical parts of the machine.
The second project we conducted at the Hague University was project Lifting Aide. Commisioned by van der Vegt Produkt. The objective of this project was to design a lifting aide that would allow a single person to build an entire scaffolding. During this project I was the projectleader of group 5, I spend most of my time planning and lending help in all parts of the project. After the first prototype failed to meet the set requirments I spend a lot of time building the mechanics for the second prototype. The featured picture shows the final version of this prototype. The scafolding could be placed between the bars and would be lifted by two DC-engines using a helix axis.
The first project I did during my study mechatronics was project drawbridge. I worked as part of a project group consisting of six persons. The goal of the project was to design a lifting and operating mechanism for an existing drawbridge. We were given a model of the drawbridge and had to design and produce the scaled components necessary to operate it. Our design used a rack and pinion to lift the bridge. As safety-features we had included a windmeter that prevented opening if windspeeds were to high, a beeper to warn bystanders that the bridge was opening and IR-sensors to detect boats passing through. During the project my main tasks were designing parts and building electronics.
While I was still studying engineering at the Technical University. Me and my project grip were given the assignment to build a gripper to pick up a wide amount of object. We were given 2 pneumatic pistons to help us and had to figure out everything else on our own. The gripper you see in the added most closely resembles our final design. The underactuated design allowed us to pick up a wide varied of object. Out of nearly a hundred project groups our design came out of the tests as the third best gripper! Find out more about the gripper on our webpage.